Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Not the Best of Days

Wow...  What started out as a really good day...... *sigh*    I have such sadness right now.  Tornadoes in TN and AL, destroying communities, homes and lives.  Plus a friend in TX lost her home today in a fire.  Hubby and I have talked, texted and Facebooked with family and friends.  So far, everyone is okay.  But,  the destruction I've seen on tv of the storms and to know there are families who have lost loved ones breaks my heart. However, in the midst of it all, I know God will bring healing and will see His children through the storms of life.

K...on to more upbeat times of the day.  Can't stay in the valley for too long.  Spent some time today, finally, cleaning house.  Quick trip to the store (needed half & half and a few other things) and time playing on-line and watching the crazy weather.  This is how I dressed for that....
Proof that I DO indeed leave the house. 
Patrick was sitting inside the car and snapped this photo of me before school.


Tonight at a meeting at church I was given a bag of Dunkin Donuts coffee beans.  Ahhhhh.  Angela, if I didn't say it before, I LOVE YOU!!  :)  Had a great time with everyone.  So much laughter and fun!!  Love this group more than I can say. 

Of course, I did NOT wear the above outfit to meet with such FABULOUS people.  Instead, I wore this:
Ummm...sorry about the lighting and the facial expression.
Not sure what happened with the flash.  I KNOW it flashed.  I saw spots for the longest time afterwards!
Daniel was the official photographer this evening.  :)

I have to share this story from tonight.  While waiting to show people to the childcare rooms, I was speaking with a precious little girl who told me I was very pretty tonight and then asked me "why are you so dressed up?"  You should know, she was dressed VERY cute herself (denim skirt with a darling ruffle, an adorable print top and GREAT shoes).  I wasn't sure how to describe my frumpy to fabulous transformation.  (I blame Clinton Kelly for this new phrasing after reading one of his books yesterday)  So, I paused and then bent to her level, looked her straight in the eyes and said, "You know, I didn't always dress this pretty.  For a long time, I just wore jeans and yucky t-shirts.  Then, one day, I wondered why I didn't wear the pretty things I had in my closet.  So, I started dressing up EVERY DAY.  And, you know what?  It makes me really happy inside and makes me smile all the time."  She thought about it for a couple of seconds and then smiled really big and said "I have pretty clothes in my closet too."  I agreed and then told her how pretty I thought she was in her ruffled denim skirt, her pretty top and especially her shoes!  The shoe comment made her smile soooo big!  It's true.  We girls start with the shoe obsession young.  Loving that I had a chance to encourage a future fashionista.  I hope she always feels as fabulous about herself as she did tonight.  :)

Nightly update:

Coffee:  An entire pot of Gevalia Royal Vinter coffee with Trader Joe's Organic Half & Half.  Who needs anything else - even fancy flavored creamers - when the coffee is this good?  YUM

Food:  Did the BUYcott of Chick-Fil-A tonight in honor of their pro-family, pro-Christian policies.  The kids were happy to get fast food.  Daniel enjoyed not having many dishes to wash and I got a break from cooking on a hectic evening.  I'd say this was a win-win situation all the way around.  :)

Writing:  Only this...and a couple of  message board posts.  I am THINKING about writing quite often though.  Does that count??  LOL

Exercise:  ...does cleaning house count??  :) 

3 comments:

  1. Susan, your post about dressing up and wearing your pretty clothes reminded me of my grandmother. When she died we discovered that she had saved all her pretty clothes for something special. Many of them where still in their original packaging, never worn. This has always been sad to me even though it was many years ago. Because of this memory I use my good dishes and my silver and crystal every chance I get. We deserve to live a fabulous life on an every day basis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard and seen so many stories like your grandmother Vicki...and I have decided, like you, that I do not want to be that person. Let's enjoy our pretty things. I even clean house with my pretty clothes on most days - with a cute apron covering my outfit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Susan, I love that story!! What a beautiful answer you gave that little girl...encouraging and inspiring! I do love your "pretty things" and i'm glad you're so enjoying them too! I usually always feel I'd rather be over-dressed than under-dressed. Once in a while I struggle with that though when I know i'm on my way to a place where people are bound to be under-dressed...like yesterday. I just looked in my rear-view mirror and told myself I just have to be myself and then that was that. No apologies for the red lipstick or "fixed" hair!
    Keep up the great work. Your inspiration is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete