Monday, April 4, 2011

Banana Cream Dreams

The title says it.  This weekend we discussed my friend Debra's recent trip to NYC where she had "the best banana cream pie EVER" or something to that effect.  Being the Susie Homemake that I am, I took this as a challenge.  My plan is to try duplicate her NYC experience.  The wheels in my mind started whirling as she described this most awesome Banana Cream Pie (BCP).  I asked questions and admitted I was going to play around in the kitchen to see if I could duplicate the one she had.  Ideas have been swirling thru my brain. My favorite recipe site has been searched diligently.  (AllRecipes.com, if you wondered)  This evening, I made my first Banana Cream Pie. Not knowing how her BCP tasted, I don't know if I have duplicated it or not.  But, I have to tell you, mine is good.  I'm pleased.  Will make this again.  Definitely.  After Debra taste tests it, I may need to tweak this recipe a bit, but for a first try at BCP, I am quite content with the outcome.

Now, what does a girl WEAR to make a Banana Cream Pie?  Something cool and casual with a hint of the beach (since that's where I was inspired/challenged).  Also something on the inexpensive side for staying home most of the day.  So, this was my OOTD: 

Maxi dress by Merona
Tank by Basic Editions (I think, can't read the tag, lol)
Flip Flops by Airwalk for Payless (bought today - BOGO!!)
Necklace from Wal-Mart
Photographer:  My son Patrick who said "You look good.  This looks like a Glamour Shot."  Awwwww.  :)

Close up on the feet.  LOVE the nail color on my hands, not so much on the feet...

Isn't the little flower just darling??

And, I was having a good hair day this morning, so I snapped a photo of that too. 

Ummm...looked better in person.  Really. 


It was a GORGEOUS day!!  Temps in the 80s.  Blue skies.  SUNSHINE!  Wind.  But, oh, so nice.  Opened all the windows to air the house and enjoy nature.  Quite wonderful.  Spent the day working on the house after being gone for the second weekend in a row. It was more of a general pick up along with washing dishes and clothing.  In fact, I'm still doing laundry.  With a family of 6, when am I NOT working on laundry?  Spent time on the phone with a friend.  Good chat.  Spent time with hubby.  Very nice.  Spent time with the boys.  Also nice. 

Since I didn't have any sandals or flip flops (they all died last year) and this dress definitely required either sandals or flip flops, a trip to my favorite Payless was in order for the afternoon.  Lo and behold, today was the final day for their BOGO sale on flip flops!!  Two pair were purchased.  The other pair is rather cute too.  You will see those on the next mid 80s day, I'm sure.  :)

Prayer meeting tonight was awesome.  God met us there.  No other way to put it. 

Coffee today:  Gevalia Le Procope with Italian Sweet Cream for the first 3/4 of the pot.  Final 1/4 was enjoyed with Peppermint Mocha.  Yum.

Food:  Meatloaf (made with my Mom's homemade salsa), Irish Potato Casserole, Broccoli and the Easiest Rolls Ever. 

Writing:  Sorry, didn't happen today.  Too much else going on.  To be perfectly honest, I forgot to do it.  Oh well.  There's always tomorrow, unless there isn't.  In which case, it doesn't matter anyway. 


3 comments:

  1. Love that last comment...I was thinking along these lines as I flew down to FL with the kids: hopefully we make it safe and sound and if we don't it really won't matter (to us anyway) :-))
    I mean that as a great thought not a morbid one!

    Love your look today! I think your hair looks great in the pic, so it must have been awesome in person! Those flops are super cute--yes, I love the little flower:-)
    Agree with your take on the polishes too.

    I would LOVE to have a piece of that BCP!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kara... I know what you mean about thinking that when travelling. :) BTW, next time you travel to VA Beach, let me know and I will fix a BCP for you. :)

    As for the polish, it is going to go as soon as I get to the store and buy more remover. As bad as it looks in a photo, it's 10 times worse in person. My feet look dead. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was the perfect outfit for the weather yesterday, and I love the color on you.
    Um, where is my pie? ;)

    ReplyDelete