Friday, January 31, 2014

Saying "No" Gracefully

I was recently given an opportunity to do something I truly want to do but didn't expect to have the chance to do.

But, included in the offer were things I most certainly did not want to do.

Hello internal conflict. 

Was I supposed to take this offer?  Should I say yes?  Should I say no?  Everything in my being screamed "SAY NO!!!"

But....it was a church thing.  Aren't you 'supposed' to say yes to church things?  I mean, it's like a requirement, right?

 




Hello Guilt.

I really should say yes.  It's the right thing to do.  I may not be asked again if I say no.  Is saying no to the opportunity saying no to God?  Is saying yes the right thing when I don't feel like it is the right thing?  Do I trust my feelings?  Do I trust myself?  Do I trust my prayers?  Have they been answered by my internal conflict telling me "Don't do it!!"???

Two days I my mind whirled.  My stomach hurt.  My heart ached.  What should I do? 

Finally, I made the decision.  I was going to say "No."

Oh great.  HOW am I supposed to say "No" to church?

I sat at my computer.  I stared at the blank email.  I prayed.  Really, I did.  Then, I started to type. 

Do you know the verse about God giving you the words to speak when you don't know what to say?  It is true.  The words had to come from him because I am not this graceful. 

I began with a sincere thank you for the opportunity.  I expressed a desire to help.  Then I transitioned into the fact that this particular opportunity was not one I felt was correct for me at this time.  I gave my reasons.  And, then I ended it with, "I feel I should step aside and give someone else the opportunity to serve."

Deep breath in.  Hold it.  Hit "Send" and exhale loudly.

I prayed my answer would be read and received in the manner I intended.

It was. 

WHEW! 

Included was a comment about how much they appreciated me feeling comfortable enough to be honest with my reasons for turning it down and that I would be considered in the future for other things. 

Who knows, saying "No" to a good thing may lead to eventually saying "Yes" to a great thing.  It's all in how you go about it.  Be graceful.  Honey really is more attractive than vinegar.  Unless you are cleaning.  But, that's a post for another day.  :)

This picture was taken when I returned home from Bible study Monday. 
To me, its beauty symbolized that I had made the right choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment