Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Finding Balance AKA Living Like a Tortoise

Before the New Year I developed what seemed to be a reasonable schedule for my life.  It had all the things in it I need to do like taking care of the house, writing, reading, research, blogging, exercise and time for the family.  Each hour of the day was clearly accounted for, making the most of each and every minute. 

On paper, or rather on the computer screen, it looked good.  I was so pleased with it, I sent a copy to my husband to see what he thought.  He approved. 

A ha!

If I think it looks good and he thinks it looks good, I must be onto something!  was my thought at the time.  The real test was putting it into practice once everyone went back to work and school.  That happened last Tuesday.

Eight days ago. 

Eight days of failure.  Or what feels like failure. 

What looked good on paper, what seemed balanced, isn't. 

Perhaps I am just not accustomed to it yet, I thought when things did not go according to schedule.  So, I tried to stick with it, giving it until today. 

The plan is not working.

Walking at noon?  Who was I kidding?  Myself, obviously. 

Reading?  Research?  Writing more than 1-2 hours?  HA! 

Blogging daily?  Please....

What do I do about this?  These are all things I need to do.  Most of them daily.  I must cook, clean and do laundry.  Spending time with my family at night is a must also.  There are only a few hours remaining to do the things I want to do.  Important things. 

The key is finding balance.  It  must be.  I keep seeing books and articles and other blog posts about balance.  So, that must be the answer.   

But, how? 

Perhaps I need to revisit my cleaning schedule.  Although, in my world, making beds, tidying the bathrooms, picking up clutter from the kitchen and living room, sweeping and vacuuming are things that need to be done daily to keep the house in order.  I can not work without order. 

Perhaps I can do them faster.  Do a "good enough" job instead of doing them well. 

Perhaps I can blog fewer days a week.  Then I can spend that time reading or researching. 

Perhaps I need to give myself permission to not be perfectly on schedule all day every day.  Living on a schedule, or by a schedule, is not always the way to get things done.  Allowing myself to work, steadily, each day, may be the answer.

"Slow and steady wins the race," says the tortoise of racing fame.

Go, and live like a tortoise. 

I am going to try.  Maybe it will bring about the balance I need.

If not, please send "Alice" my way.  I'm sure the Brady's no longer need her.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment