Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Customer What? Oh, yes, Service...

Customer Service.  It's everywhere you go.  Stores.  Restaurants. City Offices. 

It's something most of us don't think about unless it is exceptionally good or extremely bad.

The past couple of days I have had both. 

The first was when I had great service at a couple of local restaurants.  The servers were working hard, waiting on lots of tables. They were smiling, chatting, serving food and drinks, taking orders, seeming to be everywhere at once without appearing over worked, hurried or stressed. 

I admired how cheerfully they did their jobs, even knowing some patron would inevitably cheat them on the tip.  Still they quickly and efficiently brought out food and drinks. Working hard, hoping for a couple extra dollars to pay their rent, their phone bill, their tuition, etc. 

This made me think about how we, as customers, treat the ones who are working hard for us.  How often do we say a simple thank you to them?  Leave a nice note for the manager to see you appreciated their efforts?  Or, better yet, ask to speak with the manager to compliment how well they did their job. 

Today, at a local café, I received GREAT service.  Thanks again Diane, who was too shy to have her picture taken for the blog, for great service with a smile.  Even when I needed my coffee cup refilled numerous times. 



And, then there are those who give bad customer service.  

Yesterday, I had a problem which required a trip to the city offices in my small town.  One office was helpful.  They commiserated with me over my problem.  Then they sorrowfully said I was in the wrong office and gave me directions to the correct office.

When I got to the new office, the receptionist didn't greet me.  She wasn't on the phone.  She wasn't doing paperwork.  She was playing a game on her iPhone which was immediately placed face down when I looked over the half wall to her desk. 

Still no greeting.  Just a LOOK.  You have seen it.  The look that says "What do you want?"

I smiled and said hello.  Mentioned I had a problem and was told this was the office where I would be helped. 

Snarky receptionist (SR) said "So, what's your problem?"  The only thing missing was an eye roll. 

Me:  explained the problem.

SR:  "Address?"

Me:  gave the info.

SR:  Picks up the phone and calls someone.  Tells them my problem. Listens, says ok, then hangs up.  Looks back at me.  "Okay.  Someone is going out to see about your problem.  If it's on your side there's nothing we can do about it."

Me:  "Thanks for your help."  Turned and walked away.  Fuming.   

This recurring problem which is fixed each and every time they send someone out.  Implying it is MY fault is not a way to make for a happy customer.   This was my first time coming face to face with this person.  Unfortunately, she didn't have a name tag on or a name plate on her desk.  I really wanted to report her to a supervisor. 

Then I talked myself out of it.  Maybe she was having a bad day.  Maybe this, maybe that. End result was I didn't call to complain.  Next time, however....

How about you?  What are your experiences with customer service?  Do you compliment great service?  Do you report bad service?  Do you "take it up the chain of command" for either?

No comments:

Post a Comment