Wednesday, January 29, 2014

I Need a Nap

I have a problem.  Maybe you have it too.  It's called wanting to take a nap. 

Honestly, once the hubby and kids are gone for the day, it would be very easy to simply go back to bed or curl up on the couch and snooze away.  In fact, I have done this many times in the past.

But, if I want to be productive, taking a daily nap is not the best plan.  It's not on my schedule.

Remember my schedule?  I made a few tweaks to it, like only blogging 3 times per week.  I kept my daily cleaning in place, deciding "good enough" really wasn't and the extra time was necessary to keep my home acceptable.

The schedule tweaks mean fewer hours writing.  I'm not reading as much as I would like, but my new Kindle (early Valentines present.  Thanks again, honey!) is quickly taking care of that issue. 

This week I added another thing to my schedule and it has totally thrown me off.  Monday morning Bible study.  Class starts at 9 and goes until 11:30.  I get home at noon.  Unless I need to stop by the grocery store on the way home, which puts me home at 1.

The rest of my Monday is lunch, then cleaning, then it's time to cook dinner.  Everyone starts coming home.  No writing, no editing, no reading.  In the future, Monday's blog will be written  over the weekend so all I have to do it hit "Publish" when I get home from church. 

Add to that, yesterday was the youngest son's birthday.  He is now 16.  So I spent the day shopping for final things, wrapping gifts, baking the cake, etc.  All those things I do to make the day special.  All this translates to two days this week of no writing.

Last night I fell asleep on the sofa around 10:30.  I woke at 12:15, turned off everything, took out my contacts, and climbed in bed.  Awake.  I finally drifted off. 

But, there is something about waking up, getting up, taking care of things and then finally making it to bed that is not conducive to a good nights rest.  Sure, I slept.  But, it wasn't restful. 

This has happened several times this week.  Is it the change in my daily schedule?  Do I need to simply give in and take a nap?  For the record, I am still tired.  My nice roaring fire is definitely conducive to a nap.  It's so warm sitting here, listening to the logs burn and the dog snore. 

When do you make the decision to nap?  How do you decide?  Is it better to hold out and go to bed at a decent hour instead of falling asleep in front of the tv?

Time to go back to the drawing board with the schedule again.  I must incorporate new items in for the next 11 weeks.  While I'm at it, I need to set a bedtime for myself.  More importantly, I must stick with it.

Time for a nice big cup of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment