Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Christmas Break is Over

Today is the second day the kids are back in school following Christmas Break. 

It is hubby's third day back to work. 

The house is so quiet.  No tv, no keyboard or drums or marimba.  Only the sounds of the aquarium bubbling, the dogs moving about and just now the icemaker dumping ice. 

My house is lonely today. 

Yesterday it was relieved.  Finally!  Back to peace and quiet during the day.  Finally!  I can get things done without interruption.  Finally....  The list went on and on. 

Then they came home and I was so glad to see them.  We had a lovely evening in front of the fireplace, watching tv and eating popcorn.  Well, they were eating popcorn.  I had coffee.  We talked and laughed. 

Then, today happened. 

It was okay as I was busy cleaning house and putting things in order. 

But, now, I am alone.  And lonely.

The dogs don't talk. 

The furnace makes noise, as does the refrigerator and water cooler.  But, they don't talk.  Nor do they play music for me to hear as I go about my routine. 

They don't interrupt me to tell me something important "right now" because it can't wait till I leave the restroom. 

So, today I am lonely.  The house feels lonely.  And, I am glad.  It will make their return from school that much more exciting. 

The countdown has begun.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, so sorry you are lonely. It will take some time to get used to the quiet but you will. Then the dogs will start talking back to you, or at least you will think they are and you will get to visiting on facebook or writing more and time will pass. Then you will appreciate your quiet time more. I miss my alone time now that I am living with my mom and brother. They are always around. LOL but I love being here and once I get back into my normal schedule I will value and appreciate and make time for those quiet moments. Until then you have us, and we are listening.

    ReplyDelete