Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Inspiration

If you've read this blog recently, you've noticed a new theme in my posts.  It is, of course, writing.  Lately, I have had several people asking about it.  So, the answer is yes, I'm writing a novel.  Christian fiction, to be precise, with a modern day setting.  Although I love to read historical fiction, I don't know if I could write it.

Some background:  I've had a life long love affair with words.  All words.  Spoken and written.  Especially written.  Since my teen years I've wanted to write.  I had a dream of moving to Paris and living there for 3 years in a garret apartment over a bakery or coffee shop while I wrote my first novel.  It was going to be a world wide best seller as it was going to be translated into practically every known language. 

Hey, as a teen when I had a dream, it was a BIG dream. Truth be told, I still dream big.  :)  If you're going to go to the trouble of dreaming, you might as well make it spectacular, right?

All through the years, I've filled notebooks with ideas for books and stashed them all over.  In boxes.  In book shelves.  In the top of my closet.  In a briefcase. Everywhere.  Most of them are not well thought out with few redeeming qualities.  Except for one children's book I started, but never finished.  One day....maybe....I will go back and see what I can do with it. 

So, almost a year ago, I went on a girl's weekend to the beach with several wonderful ladies from my church. While I was there, an idea started forming in my mind and as usual I made notes on the idea before I forgot it.  I played with it off an on, making notes over the next few weeks before putting it away.  I knew it was a good idea, but with my part time job, hubby's retirement from the military and our impending move to TX, I didn't have time to write my name, much less a book. 

Thus, it was put away until October when I pulled it out and wrote the first half of chapter one.  It was good. It was a book I would want to read if I saw it at my local book store.  I was excited.  So, I shared it with a friend, who also liked what she saw and encouraged me.  But, soon, life intervened and writing fell to the wayside. 

Then, 2 weeks ago, my husband and I were discussing whether or not I should go back to work. I begin this discussion at the beginning of every new year. Anyway, mid way through the conversation I said "Do you know what I REALLY want to do as my career?"  He looked at me a moment and said "You want to write."  It wasn't a question. But, he followed it with one.  "Why don't you?  You have time.  You have an idea.  Do it." 

That was the beginning.  I pulled out the notes and started the next day.  A couple of days later, I learned about a Christian Writers Conference and weekly workshop being held at one of our local churches. I immediately registered to attend. I've been writing almost daily since then.  My Facebook status updates and this blog are where I hold myself accountable in public to continue writing.  I want to be one of the people who FINISHES the manuscript.  It may be rejected repeatedly, but I am determined to write a complete novel, find an agent and attempt getting it published, with hopes to follow it with 4 more books to complete the series - I told you I still dream big.

What does all this have to do with the title "Inspiration"...  Well, first of all, I was inspired by God with this story during that lovely weekend with my friends.  Then, I was inspired and encouraged by my friend.  Next, hubby inspired me to begin writing in earnest every day - even if it's only for a couple of hours.  And, he inspires me to continue when I wonder if this is a ridiculously stupid dream and one I should toss to the way side and get a "real" job. 

I also draw inspiration from friends and family.  It is said you should "write what you know."  Beware.  I am doing that, to an extent.  Thankfully, I have a vivid imagination and have scenes in my book that have never ever happened.  BUT, during my mornings out writing, I've seen and heard some of the most wonderful snippets of conversations.  And,  people at the grocery store have given me fodder for different scenes for my characters to either witness or actually do.  HEB is quickly becoming one of my favorite places as people are so interesting there!  I've written down a few really funny incidents I've witnessed lately to include at some point.  Who knows, these moments may be a jumping off point for a new book.

Thus, the moral of the story is...  people are interesting and inspirational if you pay attention to them.  A quick moment talking to someone, doing a good deed or simply watching and listening to an interaction between two strangers can be so inspiring. 

So, thank you to all my friends, family and the strangers I see (and hear) in town.  You are inspiring me every day. 

Coffee:  Yes.  Cafe Ole blend.  Basic, but good.  A full pot of it as I didn't leave the house today - except for a quick trip to HEB. 

I usually leave to do my writing, but the weather was icky, so I stayed home.  I still wrote though.  I have a good start on Chapter 3 as I managed to write over 900 words in about 90 minutes.  When I think of how much I get done in these short writing sessions, I sometimes wonder how quickly I could finish a book if I devoted my entire day Monday through Friday to writing. 

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for going for it after all this time. And props to your hubby for supporting and encouraging your dream.

    ReplyDelete