Friday, January 6, 2012

Image... How do you present yourself?

This morning I was sitting in a medical office waiting room and was an unwilling listener to several people's conversations.  I say unwilling because I did not want to hear them, nor did I try to hear them.  However,  the room was small, it was quiet and the people involved were speaking loudly.  Thus, I now know about people being fired, hired, quitting, financial situations, health problems and relationship difficulties. Perhaps these people don't mind publicizing their personal issues to strangers.  However, I do not want to be privvy to this information.  Unfortunately, I don't know how to stop it from happening unless I say "I can hear you, please speak quietly so I don't have to listen to your personal business." Somehow I don't think that is a viable option. I could take ear phones and listen to my iPod so I'm not subjected to these personal conversations.  But, when I'm reading, I don't want to listen to music - although it is preferable to the alternative.  Plus, when at the doctor's office, I want to be readily available if the nurse/doctor/whomever needs to speak with me.  It's a dilemma.   

How do you handle the above situation?  I'm seriously looking for alternatives.

While reading Facebook status updates in an attempt to distract myself from the above conversations, I read a thread from the KLOVE morning crew asking if you believe that people present a refined image of themselves on-line or if they are being honest about themselves.  Most people stated they think the majority are putting on a mask to the world at large - both on-line and in person (smiling and saying everything's fine when it isn't, the "church mask", etc) while others maintained that the true person comes out over time and some said (and I paraphrase) "I can only speak for myself and what you see is what you get with me."

I mention the above because a few weeks ago something happened and my youngest said "Oh great, I bet you are going to blog about this too, huh?" and I said "No, I don't blog about everything.  Especially if it's negative or if it will embarass someone in the family or make us look 'bad'."  His response was "Oh, so you only say things to make you look good, huh?" This has made me evaluate how I present myself and my family on-line - both on Facebook and in my blog.  I try to be honest about myself and my thoughts and feelings.  I've definitely let out some "ugly" at times.  But, I try to be thoughtful and careful as I write.  I don't want them to read something and be embarrassed.  Or worse, have someone else read it and ridicule them about a blog post I wrote. I don't consider it being fake.  More like considerate.  Am I wrong?  Is that fake and presenting only a polished image that is a mere shell of my reality?

Thinking about that, knowing how cruel people can sometimes be, sometimes makes me want to censor myself even further.  But, if I do that, is this blog worth writing?  Is it worth reading?  Where does editing end so honesty isn't compromised?  It's an interesting question I will continue to ponder.  I may never have the "right" answer but I will strive to find it.  Until then I will stumble along as best I can.

While I'm searching for the answer, I promise the following:  I will endeavor to be present myself as I am.  I will endeavor to choose my words carefully but honestly when mentioning family and friends.  I will endeavor to be kind and considerate as I answer your comments.  If I have hurt or embarrassed anyone, either in the blog or comment section, it was unintentional and I apologize.  I will continue to ask hard questions of myself (and you) at times.  I will be light hearted and hopefully witty at others.  My silly OOTDs will still be here along with pics of the house, dogs and other things which capture my attention. 

Okay, moving on...  OOTD time.  It is a nice warm day and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.  The forecast high today is 73.  Nice!  So, if you are wondering why I look Spring-ish, that's why.  It FEELS like Spring, so why not?  Right?  And, if that's a fashion faux pas, give me a citation.  :)


Yes, I do have feet.  LOL
Hubby was my official photographer this morning.
I prefer the top pic....but didn't have feet, so asked him to take a second.

Coffee:  Yes, it's good today.  It's good every day.  But, enjoying it like this makes it even better.
I just love this cup I bought at Anthropologie.
It's so pretty and feminine.




2 comments:

  1. I hear you on should we censor ourselves, should we not. I tend too just because I am hoping that by projecting the positive image it will help me attain it. I had someone once ask me once if I never have bad days. I answered that yes I did have bad days but chose to focus on the positive. She then proceeded to tell me that it makes me hard to relate too because no one can be that happy all the time. It really made me think. I want a positive image but I also want o be relatible. I also realized that to be real and honest about some things especially the bad you can find kindred spirits that can sometimes help you through those rough patches. I am still a very private person and tend to try to focus on the positive but occasionally, under the right circumstances and the right group, I will let my guard down.

    ReplyDelete