Saturday, January 14, 2012

Projects in coffee

That I have a love affair with all things coffee is no surprise to those who know me personally, are my friends on Facebook or who read this blog.  So, when I tell you that yesterday I ventured into the realm of making my own flavored creamers, you will not be shocked or have a sense of awe.

What prompted this sudden interest in creating my own flavored coffee creamers? It happened when a friend from high school commented on my facebook status to tell me about an episode of Mythbusters where they proved Coffeemate is explosive. This sent me scurrying to read the ingredients in my favorite flavor.  Seeing it contained mostly water, artificial colors and flavors andpreservatives, I decided that no matter how wonderful it tastes, it can't be good for me and should be replaced.  Immediately. 

Thus, I began an online search for the perfect recipe.  No.  No.  No.  No....and NO!  Was my reaction to most of the recipes I saw.  Most contained sweetened condensed milk which contains concentrated whole milk and sugar.  This can not be good for you if they put it in a can and it is presumably good for 2 years.  Without refrigeration???  Real milk?? Seriously???

Deciding there must be a better alternative, I continued reading recipes.  Later, another friend sent a link to pinterest and a blog page where the creater made her own half and half with milk and whipping cream and then flavored it.  Having already decided to develop my own recipe, I bookmarked the pages and went into the kitchen to create. 

My first attempts were unsuccessful.  Not complete failures, but definitely not recipes I want to share. Crazy fact - they tasted good until I added coffee....Then, those recipes went into the failure column. I made notes concerning the pros and cons for changes next time around.  I will continue with this project until I get it right. Promise!  And, yes, I will share the recipes here.  :)

That was yesterday.  Today, I did something I've long wanted to do.  I went to a writer's conference.  It was a wonderful morning.  I loved every moment of it.  It was a great kick off to a class I'll be attending over the next 8-9 weeks, teaching various aspects of what is needed to write successfully and how to get published.  I'm really looking forward to it. 

Since I've not included an OOTD in a while, I had hubby snap a photo this morning. I felt "artsy" wearing it to the conference.  Just wish I'd had a long pendant necklace to wear with the ensemble.  Oh well, something to look for as I shop this spring. :)

Speaking of writing, let me update you. So far, I've completed writing the first chapter and started the second.  There has been a lot of editing with more needed.  However, I've looked at C1 so much I need to let it marinate in my brain a while before I attempt finishing it.  Basically, I need more descriptive passages. 

Chapter 2 is coming along nicely. This morning while waiting for the workshop to begin, I had a couple of really good ideas.  So, I opened my notebook and jotted them down to incorporate them into the story next time I write.  I'm still leaving home to write Monday - Friday. Leaving home is difficult.  Almost as hard is finding a place with room to write.  I planned to go to Starbucks the past couple of days but couldn't as they were filled to capacity.

In case you wondered, I always, ALWAYS have a cup of coffee with me when writing.  If I'm inspired and the words are coming fast and furious, my cup of coffee gets cold.  If I'm stuck, it's wonderful to hold a warm mug of coffee in my hands while staring into the distance considering possibilities until inspiration strikes again.  If no words come, I edit until I am happy (for the moment) or until inspiration strikes and I begin to create again.
Coffee:  Yes, but not until 11 this morning. I've since made up for it (drinking the last cup right now).  Fake creamer this morning...my not so good homemade creamer now.  But, the coffee is good. Coffee is always good.  :)

1 comment:

  1. "This can not be good for you if they put it in a can and it is presumably good for 2 years.  Without refrigeration???  Real milk?? Seriously???"

    LOL, I love this...because I couldn't agree more!!!!

    ReplyDelete