Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Rewind That, Please

I love my DVR. 

I'm talking, seriously love my DVR.  

I can pause tv if someone is talking so I can pay attention to what they are saying.  I can rewind things I missed, or didn't hear because someone was talking, etc.  I can pause a show and begin watching it 15 minutes in to skip commercials.  I can set it to record so I don't miss any of my favorite shows. 

The case could be made that I am addicted to my DVR.  Considering what I did this morning, I would be found guilty and convicted of this addiction.

Let me set the scene. 

It was 7:30.  The two teens and I were in the car on our short 2 mile drive to their school.  The radio was on.  We were talking.  Traffic was heavy and we were behind a bus.  Traffic was moving slowly, as usual and we were stopping at every light.  Every.  Single.  Light.

"Did you hear that?" I say, looking at both boys.

"Hear what?"  Patrick looks up from his cell phone.

"No," Daniel says from the back seat.

"The bus in front of us has crazy loud brakes.  Listen,"  My hand fumbled around the console looking for the remote. 

So I can rewind what just happened.



Yes.  That's right.  I was trying to rewind real life.  While driving.  In traffic. 

I felt silly. 

I admitted what I had done. 

We laughed about it and the teens admitted they often attempted to do the same thing.  Either to replay something great or something incredibly stupid. 

Technology is a great thing.  I love technology.  It makes my day so much easier and more enjoyable in many ways. 

But, this morning made me question how technology has taken control of me being "in the moment" with my family, friends, and life in general.  Am I only half way paying attention because I am so accustomed to being able to pause, rewind and replay practically everything except real life? 

I don't know about you, but I am committing to being present, truly present with the people in my life so I can record all the wonderful, silly and everyday moments in the dvr of my heart and mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment