Friday, February 14, 2014

Breakfast, the Meal of Champions?

Happy Valentine's Day! 

In thinking about the people I love most, my family, and remembering I had an idea about feeding them waiting in my drafts folder, I wrote this last night.  Since then, I have been to the grocery store, read labels and cooked a "from scratch" breakfast this morning.  Chocolate chip scones and scrambled eggs.  It was a perfect "Valentine's Day" way to wake up.  Not necessarily the most nutritious, but it was at least not pre-packaged and totally filled with preservatives....well, except for the ones in the flour, sugar and chocolate chips....  Great, I have failed in my objective already.  But, onto the post!



As usual, a few weeks ago I was scrambling for a blog post when I saw a Facebook status that sparked my interest.  I didn't write the post that day, but I did save it for future reference.

With permission, this is what it said: 

"Thought I had this morning as I had a few cookies for breakfast: Momma would fix pancakes, waffles, toaster pastries, or biscuits and Karo syrup, but wouldn't let me eat a piece of cake or pie for breakfast because it was too early for sweets.  LOL!"

Sandie's post made me think about things I frequently make for my family for breakfast.

I know you are curious about what you will find on my breakfast table.  Here is a partial list:

Biscuits
Eggs
Bacon
Sausage
Breakfast Sandwiches - English muffin with Canadian bacon, eggs, cheese and bacon
Pancakes
Waffles
Biscuits and Chocolate Gravy
Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
Hash browns
Scones
Muffins - chocolate chip, blue berry, strawberry, wild berry, lemon
Cereal
French Toast Sticks
French Toast
Cinnamon Rolls
Toast
Fruit
Yogurt
Breakfast casserole
Kolaches with sausage and cheese
and, on special occasions, Donuts 

The meal I make most often is bacon, eggs and biscuits.  It is quick and easy to fix.  Everyone likes it.  Very little left, so I feel pretty good about sending them off for the day.  At least, I did until I took a good look at the list and realized a lot of the things on there are from pre-packaged mixes (muffins, gravy) or cans (biscuits, cinnamon rolls) or a store/restaurant (kolaches, donuts, yogurt, cereal) or frozen (hash browns, French toast sticks) or full of preservatives (sausage, bacon, Canadian bacon). 

Suddenly, I'm not feeling too great about what I serve my family.  What is a Mom to do?  Especially one who refers to herself only half jokingly as "Susie Homemaker?"

So, I'm challenging myself for a week to try to do better. To cook nutritious breakfasts for my family.  From scratch, as much as possible.  Here are the "rules" I will follow over the next week.

1.  No canned stuff - biscuits, cinnamon rolls
2.  No eating out - kolaches, donuts
3.  No pre-packaged food - cereal, French toast sticks
4.  "Reasonable" portions of sausage and bacon. 
5.  No packaged mixes - muffins, gravy

I'm wondering if this change will make a difference in how we feel this week.  Will the kids feel better?  Will we have more energy?  Will we be mentally alert?  Will we stay full until lunch or crash mid morning?

Anyone willing to join me in this ambitious challenge for a week?  Sign up in the comments below and report back next Friday how you felt after a week of "real" food for breakfast. 

Take a deep breath, a big sip of coffee and join me in this challenge!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment