Friday, September 16, 2011

Various and sundry stuff

Do you ever have one of those days where you feel like just letting it all out, no matter how ugly it is, no matter who you might hurt and/or no matter where the chips may fall?  I had one of those recently.  It was not a good day.  I've apologized to the person involved, but I still feel bad.  Just because I was having a bad day didn't give me the right to hurt someone else.  Now there is a rift in a relationship that may never fully heal.  No matter what "they" say, words DO hurt, and hurt deeply.  Especially when it's someone you love.

No further confessions on the above.  Just wanted to put it out there so the next time you feel like blasting someone and saying things better left unsaid, you will remember me and my situation and will stop yourself.  Consider this my PSA for today.

Moving on now. 

I have been doing quite a lot of shopping lately.  Not buying, mind you, but shopping.  Perhaps looking or browsing would be a better term for what I've been doing.  Over the past week I've spent, hmmmm, maybe $100 total for a few pieces I really want for our home.  After living here for 6 weeks I have a good feel for the house and how it should be decorated. 

Over the years I have accumulated many decorative items which have moved with us quite literally from sea to shining sea and now into the heartland (again).  I am selective which ones I use as each home has its own personality and its own "vibe" for lack of a better word.  Not to mention how we change as we move and grow.  It's exciting and challenging and fun.

I have pictures! Wanna see??  OK!

Isn't this bird precious? This picture was taken in the antique shop where I found it.
The bird is handpainted carved wood. The saucer is an antique the owner found on a buying trip to England. 
She didn't have the matching cup for the saucer.  Discount! :) Total for the 2 pieces was under $10.
They are displayed in the opening between our living and dining areas. 
Like this:
Sweet, isn't it? 
I love being able to see it from both rooms. 

The next item was displayed on a chair by a gorgeous pillow.
The chair and pillow did NOT fit my budget, but this tray, for $20, did.

After bringing it home, I decided to redo the grouping on my kitchen bookshelf.
Now it looks like this:

This grouping is evolving as I'm not satisfied with it yet.
But, it's getting closer every day. 

The next purchase was one I went back for the following day.  I took pictures and showed it to my hubby that night and explained where and how I want to use it. He liked the idea and agreed to the price - a mere $65 for this antique curio stand, which we later found came from the estate of Sadie Jo Black.  Ms. Black was the Head of Home Economics Dept at Baylor University for many years.  The shop owner acquired this piece at Ms. Black's Estate sale.  That's all we know about it other than it's absolutely darling and we are excited to have it in our home and as part of our family history now. 


It is currently in our living room helping take up wall space where more furniture will be soon, I hope.
Once the living room is completed, this piece will move into the kitchen/dining area.
It will be used to display some of my favorite family pieces of glassware.
Here are close ups of each shelf.
Notice the insets on the back of the piece and the drawer?  Aren't the precious?

This is a favorite relish dish from my Mom's house.
The cruette is something my Dad loves to collect.  He donated this to my first apartment.  I've never used it for its intended purpose.  However, I have displayed it many times over the years. 
The juicer was a wedding gift - to my parents 63 years ago.
I was thrilled when my Mom gave it to me. She has another one that's even older.
The salt and pepper shakers were a gift from my Grandmother Guttery when I was a teenager and decided to start a S&P collection. These were some of her first ones after she got married. 
I'm guessing they are probably 80+ years old. 
Precious to me, indeed.
The cup in front was my Dad's when he was a little boy.
He said it was in his Christmas stocking one year along with some candy and fruit and a couple other things.
When he found out I loved antiques and antique glassware, he gave it to me.
I was in my teens.  Come to think of it, it may have been a Christmas (or birthday) gift to me that year.  :)
The butter dish and creamer aren't antiques to my knowledge. 
But, they are special as my Mom gave them to me when I moved into my first apartment.

These shelves will be an ever changing display case in our home, depending on the season and my mood.


My hair was looking cute a couple days ago, so I had Patrick snap a shot of the back. 
As much as I love it short, I'm enjoying it as it gets a little longer and I can do different things with it.
This was a "good hair day". It looked better earlier in the day.  I'm trying to tame the curls instead of letting them have a ringlet riot all over creation as they do most days.  What do you think?  Should I cut it again or let it continue to grow?  It's a constant dilemma.

Today I attemtped more shopping for our bedroom.  We are having a mattress set delivered Tuesday which is a good time to purchase new bedding. I've been looking for a couple of weeks and finally found a set I liked, but wanted to check a few more stores.  As I found nothing I liked in those stores today, I purchased the one I saw a few days ago and brought it home only to find the sheet set was missing.  Granted it was on clearance and a reasonable price for the four pieces in the bag, but it was the principle of it!  Needless to say, I packed it into the bag and returned it to the store.  Now to continue looking for the perfect set. 

Thankfully, the day wasn't a total loss as I finally purchased a Welcome Mat.  I've been eyeing this particular one for a while and today decided it is the one to set the tone for entering our home.  It has the colors I want to use throughout the house.  Now to find more decorative items for the front porch that will echo the color scheme and theme.  Why do I believe that by the time I get it "just right" we will move? 

Enough for today.  I have many different topics in mind to write about soon.  Some of them dealing with my eldest son "flying" from the nest.  Some about finding my spot in a new community.  Some will be about future decorating/shopping adventures.  Some will deal with my evolving wardrobe.  Some will be about hair.  All will involve coffee.  :)

Speaking of coffee, yesterday I had the best cup of coffee in an adorable cafe/shop in Lorena, Texas called The Cheese Shop.  Not sure if it being made in a French press made a difference, but I am seriously considering buying one.  I bought a half pound of beans to brew at home as it was so delish.  The owner sells a variety of foodstuffs all from nearby areas.  However, he said he has to go to New Jersey to get his coffees.  The one I tried and bought yesterday is called Vermont Maple Crunch.  It is superb.  It has the lovely aroma of maple rising in the steam.  You taste it in the coffee, but it isn't sweet - unless you add sweetener.  I took mine with one splenda and one cream.  Perfection.  I sat and chatted with the owner - who makes his own cheese on site - while drinking the entire pot!  It was a fabulous cafe, a fabulous shop and a fabulous lunch and conversation.  I highly recommend the grilled club sandwich.  The queso blanca and mustard egg custard sauce gave it a certain something special. 

Oh...if you missed it in the above love for The Cheese Shop, today's coffee was Vermont Maple Crunch.  Not quite as special as yesterday (I think it's due to my slowly dying coffee maker) but still a satisfying cup of happiness.  I will brew it again and again. 




1 comment:

  1. Susan, I have been waiting for your blog. It has been a great start for my Saturday, and inspiring to get myself moving in the decorating deptartment. The pieces you purchased were very unique, I think it is great to put so much thought into each purchase you make, however I am more of a spontanious shopper. I like to call it the shabby chic, if I think it looks good then that's all it takes to sell me on it. My daughter on the other hand is a minamalist. She feels if it has know practical purpose it is just in the way. The hair situation, yours grows so fast, I loved the pic you posted, but if you decide to cut it, it will grow back in a few months so your not stuck with it either way. ( as for my spelling, I hope all is correct, and I am horrible with run on sentences, as I am sure you've noticed)

    ReplyDelete