Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Table Talk

Last night's blog went so well with me naming it AFTER typing it I am going to do it again tonight.  Who knows what potpourri of ponderings we'll end up with this time around!  Here we go!!!

Today has been a good day.  It really truly has.  I know this for a fact because we did something at the dinner table tonight that we once did almost every night when the boys were small to encourage conversation and to teach table manners.  It's a little game we call "Highs and Lows" where the Dad starts, then Mom and goes around the table starting with the eldest child and ending with the youngest.  Each person has to tell something GOOD that happened that day (their high) and something that wasn't good (their low).  As each person tells their high and low the rest of the family gets to celebrate, congratulate, and/or comment appropriately.  It was so awesome that we all had to THINK about our lows, but everyone was able to immediately come up with a GREAT high!  I love days like this. 

It was especially wonderful as my hubby and I sat at the table, watching and listening to the boys talk and laugh with each other.  Nights like this aren't rare, but they also aren't the norm.  Three teen age boys with testosterone raging, etc, make for some interesting nights. 

Today was finally the day I baked!  I've been working with my Amish Friendship Bread starter for a while now.  Wasn't able to bake on day 10.  And, didn't have time Sunday or Monday, so made it today.  Wow.  It turned out really good.  But, I have to ask WHO writes these directions??  At the end of the 10 days I'm supposed to have FOUR cups of starter.  Okay, let's do the math.  To begin the starter, you put in THREE cups of stuff (milk, flour and sugar) on day six you put in THREE MORE cups of stuff (again, milk, flour and sugar) and on day ten you put in FOUR AND A HALF cups of the same stuff.....and you are supposed to end up with FOUR cups of starter????  It was more like SEVEN.  I used 1.5 in baking tonight, kept 1 cup of starter going to use in 10 days and froze 4 other cups of starter to use later.  Or to give to friends - assuming I ever make any!!  And, I threw away the last half cup of starter as it wasn't enough to keep and I didn't want to make anything else tonight.  Other than that, I have absolutely no complaints about the recipe or how it turned out.  I made a dozen Lemon Muffins and a 9 x 13 coffee cake.  I haven't tried the coffee cake yet - just took it out of the oven - but the muffins are disappearing.  The boys LOVE them.  YIPPEE!!  We will definitely make muffins and lemon loaf with AFB a lot.  :)  I plan to try more recipes to see what else we like.  I certainly have enough starter....



I bought a new decorating magazine today.  These are turning into my new addiction as I'm working on decorating the house.  I want something "new" and a bit out of my usual comfort zone.  However, it still has to be comfortable for the family.  The magazines are giving me some great ideas.  Now to find the pieces and put them into the house.  The hardest part is prioritizing and making them blend together.  Next up will be sewing.  I have several projects I want to make as buying them is ridiculously expensive.  Plus, if I make them, they will be even more special.  At least, that is my hope.

Today was boring coffee again.  Tomorrow, however, I am trying a new coffee.  It is HEB Cafe Ole Houston blend.  The description says it is a rich Mexican coffee marvelously blended with a combination of praline and Texas pecan flavoring along with red coconut flakes for a finish that is smooth and delightfully sweet.  Sounds good to me.  I will let you know tomorrow if it also tastes good to me.

Speaking of tomorrow, I'm making another trip South to Killeen.  On my way home I plan to stop in Lorena for at least a cup of coffee at my new favorite local cafe and if I have enough time, I will browse a bit in the antique shop that I practically ran through last week when I only had 15 minutes to spare in there.  We shall see.  As I have some definite things to accomplish tomorrow and a timeline to stick with, I may not have time to do the fun shopping in between the bank, the exchange, the commissary and dropping off a package to my hubby at work.

Coffee pot is ready for tomorrow.  Now I need to finish my cup of hot tea (English Breakfast), wash my cup and go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment