Wednesday, October 3, 2012

My Memory Failed Me.....Again

I have heard a failing memory is a sign of aging. 

So are the white, excuse me, platinum blonde hairs I recently found.

Not sure why, but since finding those natural highlights, I've noticed an alarming trend of forgetfulness.  Coincidence?  I dearly hope so!

Either way, it leads to my current dilemma.  I had an awesome topic to blog about today. The idea popped into my mind about 11:00 last night.  It was such an "A-ha!" thought I almost started blogging about it then.  But, I didn't.  Nor did I write down this incredible topic.  The tragedy?  This morning, I have no clue what I wanted so desperately to write. 

Sad, but true.

I have a lot of sad, but true instances in my life.  Isn't that sad?  It's definitely true.

So, this morning I will amuse myself with some random thoughts.

Have you ever heard of truffle salt?  Until recently (9 months or so ago) I had never heard of this incredible product.  My local grocery store has a "Cooking Connection" where people cook and sample meals, complete with recipe cards, daily.

Here is a stack of the cards I had nearby. 


The chefs who work at my local HEB Cooking Connection are friendly and very helpful.  I often stop by and ask them about something I've tried or for a suggestion.  Scott and Donna are my favorites. 

Anyway, last night I made a copycat version of Outback's Alice Springs Chicken for dinner.  I wanted something other than the usual broccoli or mashed potato side dish.  Off I went to HEB where I saw fresh asparagus and was reminded of a sample I tried one day.  Grilled asparagus with truffle salt. Grabbed a bundle of asparagus and off I went to talk with Scott.

I am now the proud owner of a jar of coarse truffle salt ($12.99 for a 5 oz jar, EEK!) and a grinder.  Instead of grilling it (I desperately want/need a grill pan for my gas range) I broiled it.  Want the recipe?  Okay.  It's very simple.  Line a jelly roll pan with aluminum foil.  Not necessary, but makes for easy peasy clean up.  Lay out the asparagus and drizzle with good quality olive oil.  Toss to coat.  Grind a small amount of truffle salt over the top (a little goes a long way, thank goodness) and broil.  Tasty!!

Sorry I don't have a picture of the asparagus.  Here is a picture of the olive oil and salt I used, in case that's helpful.  :)


Oh my goodness. I just spent several minutes looking at pictures I've taken recently.  Pictures for this blog.  Lovely food pictures.  I even have step by step pictures for a chicken dish I made a couple weeks ago.  Somewhere there is probably a recipe to go along with it.  Knowing me, I combined two Pinterest recipes to make one uniquely my own.  Unfortunately, I have no clue which recipes I combined or where my instructions have disappeared.  So, the pictures have been deleted to trouble me no more.

Another entry into Susan's "Sad, but true" file. 

31 Days of Blogging continues.  My initial reading list started with about 25 blogs I wanted to follow.  After reading for a couple of days, I have trimmed the number to 17 with plans to trim it further.  When I get it to a reasonable number of well written, interesting, helpful blogs, I will share the list. 

Are you reading any of the 31 Days blogs from the enormous list I linked to a few days ago?  Which ones?  What do you like about them? 

Coffee:  My usual half pot is almost gone.  I am trying to cut back, so I am only brewing a half pot each morning.  Some days, I brew a second half pot around lunch.  This is happening less and less.  I am attempting to drink more water.  Wish me luck. 

2 comments:

  1. oh, i love cooking and love specialty products so i'm going to have to find some truffle salt. thanks for the tip! and i know exactly how you feel about forgetting blog posts...i do that all the time! thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Hope you return often. I am enjoying your 31 Days blogs. See you there tomorrow. :)

      Delete