Thursday, October 11, 2012

A Shift in Perspective

Yesterday I wrote about something I have wanted for a very long time.  Something I doubt will ever come to pass and the hurt from knowing it will remain an unfulfilled desire. 

Don't think I am angry or bitter about it. I am not.  My heart hurts, yes.  I am sad over it.  But I accept the fact that although I want it desperately, it may not be what is best. 

Days before writing yesterday's post, I gave up all responsibility for this lack by placing it in God's capable hands.  If this desire is from him, he will change hearts and minds and it will happen.  If he has decided it is best for this desire to go unfulfilled, then I trust he has a better plan for my life.  Untimately, in the center of his will is where I always want to be. 

Last night, after posting, I was reading other blogs as well as keeping up with various status updates on Facebook.  Suddenly, I was stopped in my tracks. 

Let me back track for a moment.  I grew up in a small town in Tennessee.   A very small town.  One stop light. Everyone knows everyone there.  Seriously.  But, not in a bad way.  In a caring way.  The way only small Southern towns can do.  It's like a very big extended family. 

Former classmates are now teaching at the schools where I attended as a child.  Their children are now attending those same schools.  Everyone still knows everyone there. And, they still care.  Deeply.  And, if you are from there, you still care too.  No matter how far away or how long you have been gone, the small town heart still beats within.

So, last night, when I saw updates saying there had been a wreck involving two of the local high school girls, my heart broke and I prayed.  As I kept reading, I learned one was dead and the other in surgery fighting for her life. She didn't make it. 

My heart is crushed by this more than from any unfulfilled desire. 

There are two families in my hometown in Tennessee who are without their daughters today. 

There is suffering and pain in so many lives right now.  Some of them I don't know, having lived away for over 20 years. Some of them I do know.  They are my family members, friends, former classmates, etc.  Their hearts are broken. 

So I do what I can from Texas.  I pray for God to be there, to comfort them in their need.  To sustain them.  To give them grace and peace.  I pray for them to have strength to go on each day.  And, I pray they have soft hearts, full of love and not bitterness. 

Please pray for the families and friends with me.  I know my hometown will appreciate it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment