Thursday, October 25, 2012

Making It Work

Sometimes, you just need to use what you have and not run to the grocery store for 1 or 2 ingredients.  This week, I have been doing just that.  It's been difficult as I can seriously see the grocery store from my front porch.  It's just across the highway.  To get there it's less than 1/4 mile if I drive over.  It's even shorter if I walk because I'm not confined to going one way on the one way street. 

But, my pantry, freezer and refrigerator are full.  I don't need to buy more things.  Well, I need more chicken....and in a couple of days I will need another gallon of milk, tea, coffee and sugar.  But, that's beside the point. 

I have been making lots of recipes from Pinterest.  Lots of them.  Some have turned out GREAT.  Others have been just okay.  But, everything has been edible and we've enjoyed having a variety of food instead of the same 10-ish meals over and over and over.

Which brings me to my point.  These recipes almost always call for something I don't have in my pantry.  Sometimes it's an ingredient I've used and haven't replenished.  Other times, it's something I don't regularly buy.  But, these trips to the grocery are getting out of hand.  So, I decided to stop driving over every day for one item, only to come out of the store with 10-20 items.  I told you it was getting out of hand.

Case in point.  I found this recipe http://www.mamalaughlin.com/2012/02/skinny-doritos-taco-bake.html for Skinny Doritos Taco Bake on Pinterest.  It sounded yummy.  I was in the mood for something different and I thought I had everything I needed.  Wrong!  For a moment, I considered running the 1/4 mile to the store to pick up the things I needed/wanted to make this exact recipe.  Then I remembered the promise I had made myself to "make do" with what I have. 

So, I made substitutions and came up with a recipe I am now calling "Frito Pie Casserole" since it reminded us all of Frito Pie.  The nice thing, it was easy as I didn't have to make chili and it was already put together. 

Ready?  It's Recipe Time!!

Frito Pie Casserole

1 can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 small white onion, chopped
1 small can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 can diced green chilis
salt*
pepper*
cumin*
chili powder*
paprika*
1/4 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese (or cheddar, if you prefer)
2 snack bags of Spicy Nacho Doritos (or Fritos, if you prefer)
2 Tbsp Sour Cream

*or, substitute 1/2 packet of taco seasoning, or to taste

Preheat oven to 350.

Spray bottom of an 8 x 8 casserole dish.  Put beans over bottom.

Brown the beef with onion until done.  Sprinkle with spices or 1/2 taco seasoning packet to taste. 

Stir in tomato sauce and peppers.  Heat through and let simmer for 10 minutes.  Adjust seasonings, if needed. 

Pour meat mixture over the beans.  Dot sour cream over the meat and swirl it over the top to cover in a very thin layer.  Sprinkle cheese over the sour cream.  Crush the chips and layer on top. 

Put it into the oven.  Bake 20-30 minutes, until it begins to bubble around the edges.  Cool for a bit and enjoy!!

Before you get all crazy because I used "Doritos" but called it "Frito Pie" let me address that now.  I named it what I did because that's what it tasted like to all of us.  I assume with Fritos it will taste basically the same, but will need a little extra cheese.  I went light on cheese and sour cream because I have people in my house who #1 are sensitive to dairy products and #2 don't like cheese or sour cream. 

My thought is, if you add more cheese and sour cream, you would definitely want to use plain Fritos instead of the Doritos.  And, add more than two snack bags.  More like 3 or 4.  Or, half a regular bag of Fritos.  Whatever makes you happy.  I just didn't have any when I made this. 


My usual coffee update:  Yes, yes, yes.  Lots.  Made a pot this morning and another half pot this afternoon.  Community Coffee, Hotel Blend.  It's my go-to coffee.  Love it.  Having it with a slice of this cake is quite yummy.  Found this recipe on Pinterest too.  http://3to1barnett.blogspot.com/2010/02/foodie-friday-sundrop-cakeyummie.html  Sun Drop Cake.  You MUST try it.  Now, today.  Go buy the ingredients and get baking!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment