Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Paddy's Day!

Today I did something I've never ever done before.  I made corned beef and cabbage and Irish Soda bread.  How have I lived the past 42 years without making this meal?  Even more to the point...WHY have I lived this long without making this wonderful meal?  Mercy, but it was delicious.  Well, let me be precise.  The corned beef and cabbage (and onions, potatoes and carrots) were delicious.  The bread was given a thumbs down by the entire family - including me.  I had a feeling as I was kneading it that it wasn't going to be that good, but I decided to bake it anyway. I can't explain it any better than to say it just didn't FEEL right.  I've baked enough bread and spent enough time kneading dough that I know how I want it to feel...and I just never got that feeling from this loaf.  Oh well.  Next time around I will make something different.  Maybe some rye bread from scratch.  Hmmmm....that has distinct possibilities.  And, the next time I am making a much larger portion of corned beef.  We only had enough for dinner tonight.  NO left overs for sandwiches tomorrow. 

On to another thought.  The two older boys brought home their ASVAB scores today.  Oh my!!  Were we ever proud of them.  Justin (a high school junior) scored a 98 and Matthew (a high school sophomore) scored a 93.  The person interpreting the scores for them gave them some great advice for college and was super impressed with them.  In fact, he told Justin the ONLY other person he has ever seen score higher on the ASVAB was a sophomore in college!  Made Justin feel really great.  Confirmed what his Dad and I already know about him and his brother.  They are two very special young men, with lots of potential. 

Happy Birthday to my brother, David!!  Love ya!  And, special birthday wishes to all others who were born today.  May the luck of the Irish be with you.  (Not that I believe in luck, but it sounded good. LOL) 

Last thought for tonight....GREAT mid-week prayer and worship service at church tonight.  I am loving our Wednesday ngiht services.  Greg is doing such a great job teaching us about the Abundant Life from Galations 5:13-26.  Read it, study it, apply it to your life.  It will make a change in you if you do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment