Thursday, March 29, 2012

OP Update and Life Stuff

As promised, I am posting to update on how my Oil Pulling (OP) experiment is going. 

OH... I haven't changed my routine except to begin the OP regime and to drink a cup of hot lemon water first thing each morning.  Skin care, diet, etc are the same.  Oh, I stopped taking my allergy meds.  :) 

So, where to start? 

Which oils and how long seems appropriate.  :)  I started with Coconut Oil in the morning and Olive Oil in the evening and doing the process for 5 minutes each time.  Over the past 9 days I've slowly worked up to 10 minutes each time.  My plan is to work up to 15 minutes by next Friday.

The first few days were a bit difficult.  Holding and swishing oil around in my mouth for ANY length of time seemed gross. *shudder* I couldn't wait to spit it out, rinse my mouth thoroughly and brush my teeth.  Once I became accustomed to the whole process, it no longer bothers me.  And, if I'm busy, the time goes quickly.

The benefits?  Are there benefits?  I know this is what everyone is wondering.  ;)

Yes, I can see benefits after a short 9 days.  Specifically:

1.  My teeth are whiter.  I attribute this to brushing my teeth with a mixture of baking soda and sea salt after I OP plus using whitening toothpaste other times.  I wasn't sure they were truly whiter, so I asked my hubby if he noticed a difference.  He assured me there is one.  YIPPEE!!

2.  My allergy symptoms are gone.  Gone.  Did you see that?  GONE!!  I was dealing with nasal congestion, post nasal drip, runny nose, cough, really bad headaches, and I couldn't sleep at night without taking extra meds (Nyquil to be specific).  Now, I have a tiny bit of nasal congestion (left nostril) and sometimes I have a slight cough due to post nasal drip, but ONE cough drop takes care of it immediately.  I've only had to take two cough drops since starting this.  Two in nine days.  Before, I was taking two every half hour - at the very least!  No more Nyquil at night, no more zyrtec during the day.  No more Afrin so I could breathe thru my nose.  No more bags of cough drops in my purse!  No more headaches.  Well, maybe an occassional one, but not daily, verging on migraine ones.  Usually, if I have one it's because I need to eat - or drink more coffee.  :)

3.  My skin is no longer dry.  I was beginning to look like a reptile!  The backs of my hands were so dry it was ugly and awful.  I also had extremely dry cracked heels.  Also, my forehead was dry with large pores.  I noticed after 3 days that my heels were not as dry.  Today, the deepest cracks are still there, but are healing from the inside out (best way I can describe it) and they look and feel so much better.  My hands are so soft and feel so much better.  I was using lotion constantly prior to OP.  I can't remember using it in a week.  My forehead is no longer dry and the pores are smaller.  Overall, my skin is moister and softer.  Wonderful.

These are my initial observations.  If these are the ONLY benefits I ever see from Oil Pulling, they are enough.  Seriously!  I am going to continue this.

In other news, we are starting our house hunt.  We've identified our wish list and our must have list.  We've even been on-line and pulled a few listings that have peaked our interest.  Over the weekend we drove past a few just for fun.  Today I'm meeting with our realtor to start the process.  I can't wait!! 

Writing has stalled.  Life has been happening and writing has gone by the wayside.  Hubby finally read my last chapter (the emotional crisis chapter) and gave me some helpful feedback I needed to bring honesty to the male character.  He said I was close....but not quite there.  Once we talked, I understood where I veered off track. 

Coffee.  Oh yes, every day.  All day.  Either Gevalia Traditional Blend or Community Coffee Breakfast Blend.  Splash of half and half and some splenda.  Yum.  I need to go pour another cup.  :)

So, have YOU tried OP?  How's it going?  Have you seen any changes/benefits?  If you already OP, which oil do you use?  How often?  Benefits you've seen?  Let's discuss!!  :)

EDITED to add links!!!  These two links have the information I read before deciding to try Oil Pulling.  Hope they answer some of your questions and help you decide if you want to try this technique.  And, before you think I'm extremely gullible, NO, I do not believe all the claims they make. :) 

http://www.oilpulling.com/
http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/oil_pulling.html

No comments:

Post a Comment