Thursday, December 15, 2011

Appearances....are they REALLY everything?

If you are a Facebook friend, you may have seen that today I was being super duper comfy.  It's getting colder.  It's raining.  It's a blah, dreary day outside.  So, I put on a pair of old, faded, threadbare in spots 5 year old jeans.  They are so soft and comfy, I could sleep in them.  Seriously.  On top, I put on a Disney sweatshirt I've had for longer than I want to admit.  As in, I bought it a couple months before son #3 was born....and he just turned 15.  Before you faint, please note I didn't wear it at all for a few years....  So, although it's old and a bit faded, it could be worse.  Wow, am I justifying or what??? 

Anyway, I went out in these two pieces of clothing.  Granted, they are old and faded, but there were clean and spot free....and worn with 9 West boots and my new Nautica rain jacket and I was carrying my 9 West purse.  So, obviously, I am not destitute.  No one treated me badly until my very last stop of the day - at my son's school, where I was dropping off a few things. 

The tone of voice she used was so incredibly condescending. Especially when she told me how LUCKY I am to be able to go to this game at Cowboy stadium.  And, then she tells me that "parking MUST be paid.  It's TEN dollars, so be sure and have it."  I laughed and said "that's better than the $30 I paid to park for the Cowboys game my friend and I attended this fall."  The look of surprise on her face was priceless....and then she says "Oh, how lucky for YOU that you got to go to a Cowboys game.  THOSE tickets are VERY expensive. You must have a very nice friend."  All the while she is looking at me like she's wondering what I had to pawn to buy three tickets to a high school football game. 

Once I stepped away to wait for my son to pick up his things, I decided to see if it was "just me" or if she treated everyone this way.  In the 5 minutes I waited, several people came in to buy tickets for the game.  Those who were dressed VERY nicely were treated with respect and spoken to in a nice tone of voice.  If you were black, hispanic or sloppily dressed, she was condescending and *almost* rude. 

Okay, now that my blood pressure has gone down a bit, I will announce that my darling second son will be part of the Color Guard for the Championship game on Friday night at Cowboy Stadium!  Woo hoo!!  I'm so proud of him.  We will be there to see him out on the field and up on the jumbotron!  We even plan to watch the game.  :) Looking forward to it so much.  This has been a month of trips to Dallas for me, and I've loved it!  Go Midway Panthers!!!! 

Oh.....by now you are wondering how I looked today.  This is it.....  I didn't think it was THAT bad, but obviously, I was wrong....


I took this immediately after I got home, so it would be an accurate representation of how I looked at school.
Whatever....

My son took this after he came home so you can see the entire outfit. 

This makes me think about how I treat other people.  Do I treat them differently because they are dressed better, the same or worse than I?  It's my sincere desire to see people as all the same, no matter how they are dressed.  We are all people no matter our economic status and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.  Definitely food for thought....

Speaking of coffee,I know, I wasn't really, but.....it IS me and I haven't had nearly enough today.  What I've had was fabulous.  Coffee with Peppermint Mocha creamer.  YUM.



1 comment:

  1. First off let me say I think your hair looks great in that first photo and your makeup too:))
    This story (on FB and here) made me also think about how I treat others. I mean let's face it: we DO judge people by their appearance, in all sorts of ways, from hair color, to weight, to amount of makeup, to, yes, fashion choices. I just hope I don't let my judgments (either right or wrong) affect how I treat anyone, or how I act around them.
    I went out one night not too long ago to a CVS 2 minutes from our house to grab something. It was pretty late, and I was in PJ type loungewear. I am usually totally against this of course (I just think it's as easy to put on real clothes as PJs on a daily basis), but this one time I didn't care what I believe. So I was waiting in line to pay when a little girl behind me says to her mom, "I want to wear my PJs out" and her mom says, "Oh, you know we don't wear PJs out of the house!" What I really wanted to do was turn around and say, "well at least my real clothes don't look like PJs," but that would have been rude! LOL I really did almost say, "umm, do you see me standing here in PJs as you say that?!" Later I thought about it and wondered if it was all just a coincidence I was reading into way too much...and you really never know:)
    That said, the only thing I have to question about your look was why the boots with the jeans and sweatshirt? LOL

    ReplyDelete