Tuesday, August 23, 2011

What a busy summer!

Just looked at my blog.  My last post was on June 4, 2011.  Today it is August 23, 2011.  I have a significant amount of time to condense into a readable and hopefully interesting post. Grab a pot of coffee or tea and prepare to read a while.  This is going to be long. Apologies in advance.  :)

First of all, the last post ended with my eldest son going to prom and then graduating two weeks following both of which happened.  He was handsome, she was beautiful.  They had fun.  Graduation was a special time to the parents and a relief to the graduates.  One chapter of life down and time for another to commence.  Yesterday he left home to process into the Air Force today.  I got a text letting me know he has taken his oath.  He ships off to boot camp later today.  The next 2 months will be grueling for him physically (TX heat in August....WHAT was he thinking???), mentally and spiritually.  I will be praying for him.  Lots.  Already am, actually.

How am I dealing with him leaving?  You had to ask. *sigh*  Okay, I will answer. Some moments I'm a basket case, crying, thinking about him being gone.  That life will never be the same again for me, for him, for our family.  That our relationship will be forever changed.  Yes, I'm crying as I type this.  Then there are the other times when I am so proud my heart wants to burst out of my chest as I tell everyone what a great and amazing son I have.  He is such a special person.  Kind, considerate, caring, smart, funny, loving, compassionate....and so much more.  It's difficult having two such conflicting emotions warring inside me right now.  But, I'm doing my best to deal with it.  Eventually, maybe, I can...without crying.  Not today though.  Probably not tomorrow either.  Or next week.  Maybe when he graduates and I can be in contact with him a little more often.  Maybe.

The other biggie from the summer was our move from Virginia Beach, VA to Waco, TX where my hubby has a job teaching NJROTC.  He wanted to do something to make a difference in the world and impact future generations.  This is a great way to do it.  He's only on his second day of being in the classroom, but he already says he LOVES his job and feels this is truly the right path.  Personally, I'm simply thankful he has a job.

Yes, we found a house to rent.  It was a total answer to prayer.  Has everything I wanted and asked for.  It's large ("just over" 2100 sq ft - which beats the "just under" 1500 sq ft we had in the VA Beach condo), a two car garage, 4 (sorta, we turned the bonus room into a bedroom) bedrooms, two full baths, HUGE kitchen with a walk in pantry, dining area large enough for our big table, a living room where our sectional doesn't over power the space, a nice neighborhood and good schools.  Plus, a back yard, with a deck and a place for our grill and a covered area for patio furniture (which we still need to buy).  It's all in this place we get to call home for the next year.  The one thing I really and truly miss from our VA condo was the lovely view.  I don't exactly enjoy seeing my neighbors yard and the back of their house when I sit outside.  But, the view of the moon rising over their house and all the stars is spectacular.  Finding the good.....  :) 

This summer we got to spend lots of time with family as we were literally homeless, having given up our condo in VA and not yet having a house in TX.  It was very strange to not have a place of my own for 6 weeks.  There were days this really bothered me.  Then again, there were days when I was so very thankful for our loving families who took us in and showered us with love. It was wonderful being with everyone and makes me realize yet again how very blessed I am to have two such loving and supportive families.

The downside to the summer was the lack of money coming in and the amount that kept going out.  It was difficult.  Very difficult.  I did not enjoy it.  In fact, I don't think there are words strong enough in the English language to convey how very much this distressed me.  But, yet again, three things happened:
Number One:  God provided. 
Number Two:  My faith grew stronger as I had to rely on God and go to him in prayer over so many situations/needs/wants/frustrations.
Number Three:  My hubby and I pulled together as a team.  By the time we got thru the summer and he was getting paid again, our marriage was/is stronger and better than before.  I won't say it was all sunshine and roses between us every day.  It wasn't.  But, we kept talking and working thru whatever came our way.  It wasn't easy.  It wasn't pretty.  However, it was worth it.  I'm so glad to have my hubby.  We always say that we are a team.  This summer we proved it. 

And now?  We have been in TX as a family since July 29 (hubby had to be here earlier in the month to begin working) and in our new home since July 30.  Our credit cards and van are paid off.  A goal of ours for several years now.  Justin has joined the Air Force and is at boot camp.  Hubby is working at a job he loves.  The other three boys start school TOMORROW. I am putting the finishing touches on the house.  (Still have to replace some things that were broken and purchase other things we have wanted for a while.  But, it's coming together nicely.  When the decorating is complete, I will put up pictures.  Promise.) The search for a church home is on-going, but we are enjoying the process - just not the amount of time it's taking.  However, we know God is in this search - just as he was in the job and home search.   

And, yes, I'm still dressing nicely most days.  No OOTD pictures as Patrick still isn't in the mood to take them and no one else will.  *sigh* Time is getting near for me to expand my wardrobe again.  It is also time to weed out things I am not wearing, don't like and don't want.  When I do that, I will have tons of room for new favorites.  As I was hanging clothes and arranging my closet I realized how many items of clothing I rarely wear.  They need to go to a home where they will be loved instead of residing in my closet where they are barely tolerated. 

Coffee:  Surely you jest.  Of course I'm still drinking coffee.  Yes, it's still a pot a day.  Sometimes more.  Today's flavor was Texas Pecan with half and half.  A favorite I missed greatly while in VA. 

I must not forget my trip to Starbucks this afternoon while the boys were next door at Game Stop.  While there I had a lovely venti misto with fat free milk and sugar free caramel syrup.  In case you are wondering, a "misto" is what Starbucks calls a cafe au lait.  :)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful house, I hope you get past your seperation anxieties from you son, that would be difficult. God always comes through for us, I wouldn't be where I am if it were not for Almighty God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to see a post from you. I've missed them. That first child leaving home was pretty tough for me too. But, it had some amazing benefits for all of us. It just took a while for them to come to fruition. It must be even tougher for you with all the other changes in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Susan, it was SO great getting to catch up with you...or feeling like it anyway after reading this! Sounds like you had a crazy buys summer too—glad i’m not the only one slacking on the blog;-)
    I love what you said about your clothes: letting them go to a home where they will be more appreciated—I SO need that mindset as I get back to our new home and continue to unpack next week.
    Miss you and love you!

    ReplyDelete