Saturday, February 4, 2012

Food. I love food. Rally, I do... *said in my best cartoon girl-mouse voice*

I just got lost in blog-land, blog-ville, blog-world?  I dunno.

An hour ago, I decided I NEED to make brownies.  I also decided to try a new recipe from a blogs.  Pioneer Woman's blog, to be precise.  Warning:  Her blog is addictive. I've watched her show on Food Network, so I know how she sounds.  When I read the blog, I "hear" her voice.  That was an hour ago.  I still don't have a brownie recipe - not because she didn't have one on her site, but because I don't have any caramels to make the one I want to make.  *sigh*  Guess I will wait until tomorrow and pick up some caramels when I stop by the grocery for the bread I forgot to buy today. 

Bread.  I want to start baking our loaf bread.  I wonder if my picky son would take it to school for his lunch...  Hmmmm.....

Speaking of cooking, I have a huge success to report!  No, I haven't developed the perfect homemade coffee creamer - yet.

Drum roll please.  Tonight I made a meal the entire family liked!!  With two very picky teen sons, this is a huge huge HUGE success.  It's a rare night when no one complains about the meal. Tonight was that night. 

What was this incredible meal?  It was "Alice Springs Chicken" (Outback Steakhouse) a la Top Secret Recipes.  This is what my hubby orders at Outback if he's not in the mood for steak.  He said this was very close and asked me to add the recipe to my binder!  I served the food restaurant style by fixing everyone's plate and putting it on the table.  I rarely do this.  But, tonight it worked better as the picky teens had special requests.  One asked for no mushrooms (more for ME!!).  The other requested no cheese.

I wish I'd taken pictures. Before - with the plates full of food and looking scrumptions - and After - with *almost* empty plates and full tummys.  :)  Unfortunately, I didn't think of pictures until I started writing.  Oh well.  Back to the meal....

Along with the chicken I served garlic mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli and yeast rolls.  It looked lovely.  It looked scrumptious.  The plates were *almost* empty at the end of the meal. One didn't like the potatoes, the other doesn't like broccoli.  But, I didn't let that bother me.  They LOVED the chicken.  :) 

Am I belaboring the point?  Sorry.  I'm a tad bit excited.  Have been since dinner.  And, I still don't have any dessert.  *sigh*  Tomorrow.  Oh wait.  Tomorrow is the Super Bowl.  I'll be busy making snacks to eat while watching the game.  Monday.  For sure....Oh, no...I'm busy all day Monday.  This week.  Yes.  At some point this week I will make a homemade dessert.  I hope.

Coffee - Obviously not enough.  OBVIOUSLY!  But,what I had was yummy.  Community Coffee brand.  Chicory and Coffee.  Yum. Cafe au laits today. *Happy face*

I'm gearing up for my trip to see Justin. I will probably make this a lot over the next few weeks.  We have plans to go to New Orleans the Saturday I'm there.  On the list of things we must do are #1 - go to Cafe du Monde for cafe au lait and beignets and #2 go to Preservation Hall to hear the best jazz in the world being played.  :)

I love New Orleans.  Can't wait to see the city with my eldest son who is there this weekend with friends.  He's doing research for when I go.  Right.  I know. Let me live in the land of denial.  I'm happy here.  :)

Happy Weekend!!

2 comments:

  1. I have the same unexplained need to make brownies lately. I'm going to resist until Patrick gets home from Houston on Thursday. Maybe it will pass by then. But I want to make cinnamon brownies. They should so delicious to me.

    We need to plan to trip to NO too. It's been a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gotta love it when everyone likes dinner. I've had the Alice Springs Chicken a few times...yum! I only have one that's very picky, but the other 2 have their "things" (like one will not eat anything that raw tomatoes has touched, and one doesn't like her food to touch so she really hates casseroles) Brownies sound really good too. I made a crumb cake this weekend though, so no baked goods for at least a few days. Bread is one of those things that I absolutely LOVE to make, and do very often. (old school, mixed and kneaded by hand, it's one of my favorite things to make) Hopefully the boys will like yours. My very picky one didn't at first, but she quickly came around.

    So many of my friends love Pioneer Woman. I guess I don't "get" it, I find her annoying. lol

    ReplyDelete