Sunday, October 9, 2011

Overcoming Difficulties

Overcoming difficulties.  Yes, that seems to be the theme for this week.  It has been a week of trials for our family.  Nothing BIG....just lots of little annoyances that added up to a difficult week. 

Where to start?  How about when I got home from Dallas Sunday afternoon to learn that our dryer stopped working over the weekend.  Hubby ordered the part and it arrived on Tuesday. Unfortunately, it was sort of"the wrong one".  Just slightly.  It needs different hook ups. *sigh*  Annoying.  Very annoying.  But, I can still wash the clothes and air dry them for a few days until he can get the right part.

Hubby was very busy all week.  Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday he had bus driving classes in the evening.  Thursday was a carnival.  Friday was a home football game.  Saturday was an all day bus driving class.  We barely saw him.  It was difficult and very tiring.

On Thursday, Patrick had a band concert.  It was good.  However, he didn't have any black pants so I had to make a rushed shopping trip to buy pants for him (another minor annoyance). 

While out shopping, I saw myself in a mirror and was shocked at how OLD I looked (due to my hair style).  Can we say, I found a SuperCuts immediately and took care of that problem.  Thank goodness THAT annoyance didn't last long.  :)

Friday wasn't awesome. Actually, it WAS until I went to have dinner with my hubby since he wouldn't be home until almost midnight (home football game).  I got there, turned off the car....and when I tried to start it, NOTHING.  Not even a click.  Great.  Had a wonderful dinner, drove the van home and worried about "WHAT NOW?" 

Saturday was spent driving hubby back and forth to his class and home, washing ALL the laundry and dealing with my ever increasing allergy problems.  (This means, I felt horrible.)  FINALLY got all the laundry washed and headed out with the three boys to find a coin laundry to dry them.  En route, hubby texts for me to come get him - EARLY.  I change directions (2 turns from the laundry) and go to get him....and wait....and wait...and wait. It is now an hour from the Baylor/Iowa State game to which we have tickets.  We have the boys and 6 loads of WET laundry.  Take the boys home, go to the coin laundry and dry the clothes.  It's about halfway through the first quarter when we arrive.  Long story short (too late) the Bears win!!  Woo hoo! 

Sunday morning, I wake up feeling horrible.  My head hurts. My ears hurt. My throat is KILLING me. I am coughing like crazy.  I can't breathe through my nose. It was awful.  I got up and took a couple of ibuprofen and drank copious amounts of coffee and said I was NOT going to church this morning.  After the medicine kicked in, I felt better and went to church.  I am SO glad I went!! Time for our daily dose of difficulty.  Right after we got into the sanctuary, the power went out.  Apparently someone skidded into a power pole and knocked out power to several blocks.  Thankfully, there were candles lit...so they lit more and worship happened. Those college students arrived and EXPECTED to have service, power or no power.  It was incredible.  There was a guy playing an acoustic guitar who led the music.  No words on a screen.  No hymn books.  Just a room filled with people lifting their voices in song in praise of their Saviour.  Tears were coursing down my face during the music. It was awesome.  Awesome worship to an Awesome King.  The best was singing How Great Thou Art with a guitar and those pure beautiful voices.  Then the minister spoke - halfway through his message, the power returned - and challenged us about the clothes we wear.  Not literally, but our heart clothing...and if we are known by the clothing we wear - ie, our attitudes and actions.  He told us about a t-shirt his brother in law has that boldly declares on front "I AM A CHRISTIAN" and on the back asks "How am I doing?"  Wow.  Challenging!  I love being uncomfortable.

Did I mention I have had an overwhelming week filled with difficulties?  Did I always act like a Christian?  What would people have said to me if I had worn that shirt this week?  Time to take a good long look at my heart and my attitude.  I fear I am failing in many areas.  Part of my Bible study this week reminded me that out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.  Ouch. 

The good news (on our homefront) is that the car is fixed (only needed a battery), the dryer will be fixed (hubby is buying the part after work tomorrow) and we will get to spend family time together this week. 

OOTD time.  This is what a girl wears to church on a rainy Sunday morning in Texas.  :)

Coffee:  Oh yes.  Lots.  Sams Choice, Free Trade, Medium Roast.  Yummy!  Even took a travel mug full to church.  Love being able to do that!!  Now it's time for hot tea.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you had such a rough week! I hope this one turns up. ;)
    At least you had coffee! That was probably the worst thing that happened to me! LOL

    ReplyDelete