Thursday, April 26, 2012

Guilty Pleasures

Grabbed your attention, didn't I? 



No, it wasn't just a tease.  I really am going to discuss some of my favorite guilty pleasures.  Guilty tv viewing pleasures, that is.  Come on.  Admit it. You watch things on tv you don't want to admit to anyone.  So, let's dish today on what we are watching, that we enjoy, but somewhere deep down we know we probably shouldn't enjoy it quite as much as we do.

*sigh*  Okay, here is my list.  In no particular order.

American Idol - I love people pursuing their dreams and getting to be part of it by watching and voting for who I believe is BEST.  To me this means whose music would Ibuy if they made a cd.  I love some of their voices (Joshua, Jessica, Elise) but I doubt I'd pay for a cd.  Sing along with them on the radio, yes.  Spend money, no. 

America's Next Top Model - Drama, drama, drama.  They also have a dream but these girls are mean!  They talk behind each other's backs.  They are vicious.  But, it's so much fun to watch the train wreck. 

Toddlers and Tiaras - Yes. I watch this show.  I am a bad person. But, those pagent Moms.  Oh. My. Goodness.  The kids make me laugh - especially when they act their ages.  But, the Moms are crazy!  I love watching them say things like "she's so mature for her age.  She really gets it. She understands so much about what it takes to win."  Um, hello?  You are talking about a two year old.  How much can she really understand?  Seriously? 

Fashion Star - I adore the behind the scenes drama as they prepare each week.  All the tantrums, talking about each other, etc.  However, I LOVE this show and what they are doing.  Again, another bringing a dream to life show, with drama on the side.  How perfect can you get??  Plus, I want some of those outfits.

The Bachelor and/or The Bachelorette (spelling?????  None of the ways I spelled it passed spell check and none of them looked right either.  Whatever.)  Everyone loves love.  And, watching someone fall in love is awesome.  Dating 15 people at once.  Hello drama!  Awesome.  Except for Chris Harrison telling us even 10 minutes "this is the most dramatic episode/season ever".  And, do we really need all the teasers before each commercial break?  Get on with the show!

Paula Deen cooking shows - I am a Southern girl so I "get" her.  Plus, I love all the butter and mayonaisse and sugar.  Yum. However, when I make the recipes - and I frequently do - I lighten them dramatically.  Sort of like Bobby's "Not My Mama's Meals" versions of her recipes, only I did it before he started his show.  So there, Bobby!  :p

Say Yes To the Dress - Brides.  Bridesmaids.  Opinionated Mamas, friends, brothers, Dads, etc.  It's awesome.  I love it.  Plus, there is a 'happily ever after' element to it to warm your heart.  Love the weddings they show at the end where you see all the hard work come together.  Ahhhhhhh......  And, all the bickering, tears, multiple dresses, frustration, misunderstandings, well, there you go.  All the drama you need packed into 30 minutes.

What Not To Wear -  I love the ambush.  The people who think they "dress okay" and it's everyone else's problem.  What does fashion matter anyway?  Etc.  The shock.  The disbelief.  The tears.  "I can't find ANYTHING."  Wah wah wah.  Been there.  Done that.  Wish I could go on the show!  I love the  snarky but true comments from Stacy and Clinton.  I love the way the subject eventually comes around and sees themselves differently.  The outcomes are usually GREAT.  Win win. 

Castle -  All around great show.  Love it.  The tension.  The silly one liners.  The gruesome parts.  The love story, that's a back story. You want them to get together, but you know when they do, the show has MAYBE one more season, because once all that tension is gone, it fizzles.  He is so cute.  She is so smart.  Okay, so maybe I don't feel guilty watching it.  LOL

I know there are more, but these are the ones that immediately popped into my mind.  Other than Paula's show, the rest  are filled with drama.  I love drama.  Is it okay to admit that? I know some have slightly redeeming qualities, like winning a prize, having your dream come true or getting a desperately needed make over.  But, the tears, the anger, the disappointment, etc. - I love it.

In my real life I don't like drama.  But on tv? Love it. It's there to make us feel good about ourselves.  I really AM smarter than a 5th grader.  But, not if I watch that show.  So, I don't.  I hate when tv makes me feel stupid.  I infinitely prefer feeling superior.  Don't you?  Come on.  Be truthful.  It's okay.  We are in the blogosphere.  It's okay to be honest here. If you believe that, I've got some ocean front property in Waco to sell you.  Call me.  Now.  Really.  Here's my number 555-123-4567.  Gotcha again <---Lion King reference.  Did you say it like Nala??  I did. :)

What are your guilty viewing pleasures?  Come on.  I told you mine. 

Writing update:  I have made it to Chapter 8.  Still working on it.  Sort of.  It's been ages since I sat down to write.  Life has been interrupting. 

Coffee:  None yet.  Must be why I'm out in left field today.  LOL  But, I will be drinking some Gevalia soon.  Promise.  With REAL half and half, not the fat free stuff.  Why not?  You only live once.  Might as well use a little splash of the good stuff vs a big splash of something that doesn't taste as good and probably isn't as "good" for me as the real thing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment